Gig Tips from Thelonious Monk
Looking for valuable gig advice? How about some from Thelonious Monk!
In 1960, saxophonist Steve Lacy jotted down some advice from the iconic jazz pianist. Here's some choice selections, read the full note below!
- Just because you’re not a drummer, doesn’t mean you don’t have to keep time.
- Don’t play the piano part, I’m playing that. Don’t listen to me. I’m supposed to be accompanying you!
- Always leave them wanting more.
- What should we wear tonight? Sharp as possible!
- Whatever you think can’t be done, somebody will come along & do it. A genius is the one most like himself.